Maliana ~
Another good, but challenging week. You are absolutely, without a doubt, in the “why?” phase of your development…and I completely understand now what people were talking about when they said that the 3’s are tougher than the 2’s. Given all of your arguing (and/or whining) lately – I think you could have a career in law (or at the very least, the debate team in high school). This week has been filled with me taking a lot of deep breaths, trying to keep it all in perspective. I know that one day I will be very thankful for your feistiness and determination…but this week I am lamenting over the lengthy argument(s) we have just had about why you can’t have Easter candy for dinner. Ayi yi! I asked Ms Brandi how you have been at school and she said that you are perfect, aside from your skipping naps sometimes, they have no issues with you at all, not even asking the “why” question much there either. I’ve read about this…kids being angels at school and, we’ll just say, “much different” at home (or vice versa). Anyway, I suppose it’s good that you feel comfortable enough at home to “let your hair down” and be yourself…but whew girl! Jumping through all these hoops makes for one tired mama. You definitely keep me hoppin’!
This past Monday began with your first real working speech therapy appointment. You tried really hard, and are already making strides. It's made a little more difficult though because there is quite possibly a leak in your palate that will need to be surgically repaired before your speech will be a lot more accurate. I realize now that when I took this "job", I definitely underestimated a mama's empathy for her kid. It will be a long road, but I know we can all get there, eventually, together. I still have my own anxieties, but I am really proud of you. I try to keep practicing with you throughout the week but I'm afraid I could be beating it into the ground because you seem to be getting a little tired of it all. Even trying to turn it into a game and making it more fun, you're so smart that you know exactly what I'm doing anyway. There's no fooling you. And I’m sure it’s frustrating when you probably feel like you’re already saying everything correctly. Hopefully next week, Miss Ashley can give us some recommendations for extra tools to use for homework to make it a little more enjoyable for you.
You enjoyed playing with friends this week, Cassidy and Ace both stopping by to visit. I had to crack up one night as I came outside and you all were playing at your tool bench…with you wearing your little tool belt and a very determined look on your face. I only wish I could have gotten outside sooner when Daddy said you had your helmet with headlight on too. Ha ha.

I do want to apologize for my irritability lately kiddo. I am not quite sure what’s been up with me lately…perhaps a combination of the weather, my job, or any number of countless other things…least of which is you. So I just want to say sorry if I haven’t had my “patient pants” on lately…I’ll keep working on it and hopefully next week will be better. However, in spite of my grumpiness at times this week, we have spent some quality one on one time together anyway. We had a leisurely dinner at the little café at Giant Eagle one night, while buying flowers for your teacher that you were so excited to bring her the next morning. Actually, we were a week early for teacher appreciation week, so Ms Brandi will get flowers twice from you, lucky her!
 |
| off to school with Ms Brandi's flowers |
 |
| so proud to present her with them |
We took a nice walk outside with Abby one day…finding a big rock that you enjoyed climbing on, and of course practicing on the pretend “balance beam” (aka curb).
We have read a bunch of new library books together all week. I just love it when I find some that you really like. It’s like finding gold! We also took a trip to Easton, just to walk around in the somewhat warmer spring days this week, and of course to hit the photo booth again. We can’t walk by that photo booth without you wanting to get portraits done. Anything to make you happy though. And we also hit Moochie and Co. to buy Abby a fancy “designer” dog cookie. You love the stuffed dog they have out front and really didn’t want to leave it. The cookie looked so convincing though that I had to work really hard to stop you from eating it on the way home. Of course, I don’t think you’d have gotten much farther than one bite.
And here’s another quandary. I guess it’s just the difference between Moms and Dads, but Daddy is really good at riling you up and having fun…but why does he seem to always want to do it right before bedtime? It’s so hard not to join in the fun and encourage all of that giggling, but boy is it tough to get you to settle down again afterwards. But, I think I have found your magic bullet. Singing to you (everything from Lullaby by the Dixie Chicks to John Denver’s Country Roads to Justin Bieber’s Baby – that last one is upon your request of course) and tickling your back, belly, legs, arms, etc etc etc. It has worked like a charm all week. And I love doing it too because my mom used to do the same tickling for me when I was little. Just another cool “full circle” thing that happens when you become a parent.
On Thursday night you and Daddy went on a date together, making some kind of surprise for me for Mother’s Day and then having dinner at Red Robin. You were very excited about the surprise for me, albeit a little confused about who’s keeping secrets from whom. That night before bed you told me, “It’s a surprise…don’t tell me, k?” Ha ha. You had a lot of fun, came home in a great mood, and while you were gone Daddy had texted me the following pictures.
 |
Daddy said that you and Red Robin colored for ten minutes! so cute!
buds |
Like I said earlier, you have been skipping naps at school, so Friday you fell asleep in the car on the 5 minute ride home. I brought you in and laid you down while I made dinner. Once awake, you and I sat and watched the highlights of Prince William and Kate’s royal wedding together. I’m not a big “royal watcher” and didn’t DVR it, but since you’ll be in Aunt Lindsey’s wedding later this year, I thought it would be neat for you to get a feel for what a wedding is basically like, plus this was history in the making. Anyway, I also got down the picture of Daddy and I on our wedding day, so you could see us as a bride and groom too. You were actually more interested in all of the pomp and circumstance than I thought you’d be. And Daddy will be happy to know that when I asked you if you would get married and be a bride someday, you said, “Oh no!” Ha ha. You’re only 3 and that’s already one of Daddy’s fears…giving his baby away at the altar.
After Daddy got home and we ate dinner, we hit the "cool" playground and played until nearly sunset again.
 |
| hello!?! |
 |
| if you look closely...you can see you're grabbing your butt (running to the potty for a quick poop, ha ha!) |
 |
| walking across the rock bridge |
Saturday morning Daddy took you to breakfast at Gina’s again while I went running. You had a good time, insisting on wearing your staple Cincinnati Reds hat, and of course charming the pants off everyone at Gina’s.
Saturday afternoon was all about your Uncle Dustin’s memorial. We headed to the Park of Roses to remember and celebrate Dustin’s life. It’s been 4 years to the day since he was taken, and it still hurts. I don’t know where he’d be or what he’d be doing now if he were still alive, but I do know that he would have loved you, and vice versa. If there was one thing that was important to Dustin, it was family. I just know he would have adored spending time and playing with you.
 |
| Uncle Dustin's stone |
 |
| Wai Gong and Memaw Lisa helping you write a note to Uncle Dustin, to put on a balloon we let go for him |
 |
| exploring the cool tree with Uncle Blaize |
 |
| Aunt Lindsey and Daddy, with you still watching the balloons drift away after we all let them go |
We went to Lindsey and Dustin’s mom’s house for a cookout after the memorial. It was fun to see everyone, reminisce about Dust, and play in the backyard. You made a particularly good impression on one woman there, and here’s why. At one point, you had really wanted to go outside the yard to the sidewalk and see Daddy, who was talking with some people there. You wouldn’t take no for an answer, and so in seeing this, one woman had agreed to walk you down there to see Daddy since I was busy talking with Aunt Lindsey and some other people. Well, about 5-10 minutes later, you were back in the yard and you and I were walking to get you a drink or something, and we passed this woman again. All on your own, you reached over, stopped her, looked up and said, “Thank you!” Well, this woman’s face just lit up and she began gushing about how sweet and polite that was, telling everyone within earshot about you and how that just “made her day”. I was pretty taken aback by it too…how thoughtful and polite it was. It was a proud and reassuring moment for me…because I realized that the things that we are trying to teach you are actually being soaked up. In spite of the many challenges of earlier in the week, you are definitely still becoming the sweet, thoughtful, and amazing kid that I’ve come to know. It was pretty cool to see evidence of that in this little exchange, and confirmation of the impact it can have on other people with this woman’s reaction to it. Very very neat stuff.
 |
| "hey Mali, that's not exactly the goal of cornhole!" |
 |
| now you're getting it |
 |
| making sand masterpieces with Wai Gong and Uncle Blaize |
There was one incident at the cookout where my “mama bear” had to come out though. One particular little boy there was pretty ill-behaved. He kept throwing sand at everyone who was trying to play in the little sandbox area, which was really getting on all of our nerves, especially because his parents were oblivious to it and he could not have cared less about our meaningless reprimands. Anyway, as a rule I try to let you work out how to deal with kids like this as much as possible, since you’ll have to learn to do it on your own at some point anyway. But I do draw the line when it comes to physical harm, and so when this kid wound up with a handful of sand and took aim at your head, I stood up, put on my scary mom face and said in my most scary mom voice, “Don’t you EVER throw sand at my kid’s head…I’ll scoop you up so fast and have you back with your mom and dad, you won’t even know what hit you!” Well…it worked. The boy just sat there, looking all wide-eyed at me, hand still above his head, and then slowly dropped the sand. Ahhh. A small victory, but a victory nonetheless…and my baby was safe, so mission accomplished.
 |
| obviously one of the nicer moments between you and that little boy |
You were going to spend the night at Wai Gong’s on Saturday, while Daddy and I hit yet another cookout that night. Just before leaving for Wai Gong’s, you came to me and said, in your most sincere and empathic voice, “I gotta go to Wai Gong’s, ok?”…then reached over and stroked my arm, with very concerned eyes that seemed to be worried that I wouldn’t be able to handle a night away from you. I had to stifle a giggle, and played along. It was the cutest and sweetest gesture. Under all of that orneriness…you are one sensitive little girl.
On Sunday morning we picked you up at Wai Gong’s and you were so tired, but deliriously happy, and not wanting to leave to come home. You had had a blast with them, making pizzas from scratch (with the cutest video taken of the whole thing), and playing hide and seek, jumping on their trampoline, watching the movie Cars, building a blanket fort for the sleepover, then stuffing your face with heart-shaped pancakes and eggs for breakfast.
 |
| the pizza makers! |
 |
| and voila! it was as delicious as it looks! |
 |
| the heart shaped pancakes |
While it stung a bit that you weren’t dying to come home when we showed up, it made me very happy at the same time. As I’ve said before in other post(s) to you, I never really had any visits or sleepovers with my grandparents when I was young, due to lots of various family issues. So it makes me feel infinitely blessed that you are growing up with THREE whole sets of grandparents who clearly adore you and are able to be a regular part of your life. You always want for your children what you never had growing up, and so in this respect, I feel so fortunate to be able to give you this and witness the joy you have when spending time with each, and every one, of your grandparents. I feel so lucky to be a part of this.
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment