I got to attend a Disability Job Summit/Conference for work at the beginning of the week so Lao Lao helped out with picking you up on Monday. I'm so grateful for her help and never worried about you when she's with you.
![]() |
| enjoying the butterflies at Blendon Woods |
![]() |
| you are pretty darn good with a camera |
![]() |
| silly picture I texted to you because you wanted to "see me" while on your outing with Lao Lao |
![]() |
| and equally silly picture you texted me back in response to my text to you |
![]() |
| Naked Cowgirl of Gahanna |
That very same afternoon you and I snuggled on the back deck under blankets and read books and watched Bob the Builder under a cool and slightly sunny autumn sky. I love this particular weather. We noticed the leaves are just begining to change colors and outside is the perfect temperature for cuddling with someone you love and enjoying their company (and their body heat).
Just before sunset we headed to Hoover Dam with Lao Lao, Abby, and your big girl bike. A fun and relaxing activity to end the day...well, kind of relaxing. You actually climbed all of the stairs at Hoover yourself, rode your bike back (and forth) all the way across the dam and then played on the playground, finishing by riding your bike back up a hill to the parking lot. You wore yourself out and there's nothing like getting the smell of the cool air of the outdoors on you just before bed.
Unfortunately, by Thursday my grumpy Mama Bear was awakened, right in the middle of your tang soo do class in fact. Everything was going great, and then during sparring a little boy bulldozed you across the gym and pushed you down, not only once but twice. It was supposed to be a no-contact sparring activity and this child took it way too far. And that's putting it mildly. He was bigger than you and probably figured that he got away with it once, why not do it again, and harder the second time. I let it go the first time, thinking that maybe this kid was just a little overzealous but unintentional. When I saw you go down hard for the second time, I had had it. I screamed, "Hey! Don't push her down again! That's the second time!" while pointing at the little offender. The gym came to a screeching halt. You were fine. But it was the principle of it all and the fact that this kid thought he could get away with picking on someone smaller. Now, I do want to mention that I don't blame the instructors at all. They have so many kids doing so many things and typically do a spectacular job given the demands of the class. Fortunately, after my outburst they addressed the issue with the whole class and turned it into a lesson. It worked out well. Even after class they came over and apologized that they hadn't seen it, that they should have been watching closer. Like I said before, I didn't blame them at all, simply saying, "My Mama Bear came out" with a sheepish grin. On the way home, you and I had a nice conversation about bullies, what to do if it happens again, and even talking about what makes some kids act like bullies. It turned out fine. Eventually, my adrenaline went back to baseline levels before bedtime.
That same drive home, you showed me something you had in your jeans pocket from school. Thinking it was going to be some toy you had swiped from your classroom, I was surprised to see you pull out another stray piece that had loosed itself from your silkie. Thankfully you had the wherewithall to save it so that I could reattach it later. We actually have a small sandwich bag full of "fallen soldiers", casualties of too much lovey lovin'. In fact, your most favorite "fallen soldier" I had to reattach right into the middle of your silkie so as to reinforce it a little better. Ahh...the things we parents do.
| yep, that's what we are now calling your "nubbin" in the middle...reattached "fallen soldier" right there, nice and dirty from having been EVERYWHERE with you |
![]() |
| climbing trees with Daddy |
![]() |
| in spite of the chill...you just had to dip your toes into the water...brrr! |
| moon cake |
| marching with your eyes shut tightly so as to avoid Mommy's camera (little stinker!) |
| having fun plunging off the stone wall with Cass and Mia |
| working out your upper body |
| you and Mia chased each other around the playground a ton...great way to keep warm! |
| conquering your fear of crossing this part of the jungle gym |
| no idea what's going on here... |
| braving the cold for a little Autumn Moon fun |
We slept in on Sunday while Daddy went to slave away at the office (boo). After breakfast you helped me clean the dishes and I couldn't believe you only needed a stool to reach the sink now. Wasn't it just the other day you needed a kitchen chair? My, how fast you've grown! *sniff, sniff*
We played a little "Star Wars Goes on Vacation" too...(your idea)...and when I asked if Darth was allowed to go, you replied, "Yeah, because he said sorry to his son." Ha ha.
![]() |
| all of your Star Wars toys lined up to go on vacation |
![]() |
| insisting on finishing listening to "Sunshine on my Shoulders" by John Denver before getting out of the car |
![]() |
| hot stuff on your bike at the park |
![]() |
| home stretch...you stopped for a bit to smell the goldenrod |
![]() |
| you love your frozen yogurt...and this place was cool because their spoons were shaped like guitars! |
Love,
Mama
P.S.
Just a quick note about Daddy and one of the reasons that I love him. Not only was he willing to read you the same bedtime story twice in a row, but the second time he was reading the story "No Bears" to you in Mike Ditka's voice. Just google the video for 'SNL skit Mike Ditka Go Bears' and you'll likely figure out why this strikes me as so funny.
Love you both!















No comments:
Post a Comment