Sunday, December 19, 2010

6 more days until Christmas!

Maliana ~

I can't believe Christmas is so close. We have almost gotten all preparations done, but I always feel like I am forgetting something. Now that I'm a mom, I just want to make this season as magical as possible for you. Though, this year we've all been so sick, it's been tough. But I'm trying!

Monday it snowed, a good snow, so you and I headed out on a mission for a good sled for you. After a couple stores, we found a cool toddler sled ( I didn't even know these existed) and as soon as we got it home, you wanted to go for a ride. You had me pulling you up and down the sidewalk as fast as I could, for probably close to an hour, with Abby running right alongside us. I was exhausted but your giggles kept me going!

We came in and I made you my famous octopus hot dog, which you insist on it now not only having eyes, nose, mouth, and ears...but also a bluetooth! Hilarious! You also are calling me by saying, "Hey baby!" every time you want my attention, just like Daddy. You crack me up!

On Tuesday when I was putting you to bed, you got all cozy and cuddled up into me. Daddy came in and said, "Mommy, you need to be part kangaroo!" I swear, I think if you could unzip me and climb in, you would. Sometimes at night, it gets a bit cramped in our bed, but I know I'll look back on these days and miss when you used to cuddle so close all night long. So, I'm savoring every kiss, cuddle, and hug I can get.

On Wednesday, we got home from school and made a veggie pizza together, from scratch. You were a big help and I had a ton of fun with you ~ the pizza turned out really good too! After that, we made a cute snowman ornament out of construction paper. I guess you were getting a bit tired because when we got done, I asked if you liked it and you said, "No like it!" and smacked it. I told Daddy about it and he said, "Welcome to the three's I guess". Later, you decided you did like your new ornament, so I think part of it was being three, but the other part was that you have been fighting this nasty cold for nearly a month now. Poor thing. My Christmas wish for you is to feel better for the big day. We'll see.

On Thursday, when I picked you up from school you threw a fit because we were leaving before you could draw in your workbook like the other kids in class. You felt better once I let you stay and work on the assignment. I'm glad you love being a part of the class and doing your schoolwork. I felt so bad when you got so upset, but Ms. Brandi and I agreed, it's definitely better that you cry because you like school and want to stay than crying because you don't like it.

When we got home, Audrey came over and spent some time with us. We made a gingerbread house together and we had a great time. It turned out really good, which was surprising to me because it was the first gingerbread house either Audrey or I or you had put together. You liked putting the candy on it (sneaking some every now and then). She also brought over her Christmas presents for you, which you loved. You immediately went to work putting stickers all over the craft figurine she brought for you to paint, and are itching to get into the really neat paint set she bought for you. She promised she'd help teach you to paint, which is awesome because she is a really good painter herself! You also did a great job playing memory with the toddler picture dominoes she bought you too. I know I couldn't have done as well as you (getting about 6 out of 8 on your first try!) It just proves what Daddy and I have noticed about you already,  your observation skills are outstanding!
the gingerbread house, decorations a la Mali!

decorating one of your Christmas gifts from Audrey
On Friday, you had your Christmas party at school. Then after, I picked you up and took you to Old Navy so we could pick up a couple more presents for people. You are getting to be a really good shopping buddy, giving me your honest opinions on potential purchases, (e.g. wrinkling your nose up and saying, "Nah, don't get that!" or "Hmmm, I don't know.") Ha ha ha. You also helped straighten a display that was askew, all on your own. Then, you surprised me (and about twenty fellow shoppers) by insisting on holding the door open for them, ALL of them. Refusing to leave until the last shopper in sight was safely out the door. Everyone giggled and said "Thank you" as they walked out the door by you. You are so considerate, just one more thing that makes me proud of you. Lao Lao and Uncle Forge took you out to Polaris tonight so that I could get your presents wrapped. She had an awesome time with you and came home saying how neat it is to watch you work your "Mali magic"...people get such a kick out of you, just by being you, walking up and down the mall doing your thing. It's really a fascinating phenomenon, actually.

getting ready to hop in the car with Lao Lao, but first showing them our Christmas decorations

holding hands with our "Mommy" and "Daddy" snowmen in the front yard
On Saturday, we were going to go to Clifton Mill to look at the Christmas lights there, however in the morning we had to make a trip to urgent care and unfortunately found out that you had a mild ear infection. Boo! While we got your prescriptions filled, we walked down to Skyline Chili to eat some lunch. You liked your first Skyline, which Daddy loves since it is his favorite joint too. While we ate, I asked you, "Have I told you I love you today?" to which you replied, "Uh, yeah!" It was a cute little moment. After lunch we went next door and got your hair cut. Your 2nd big girl hair cut all on your own in the big chair! You did terrific and were so stoked to have a new 'do! We ultimately decided to skip Clifton Mill tonight, with the earache and all. However, one thing I did learn about you is that you are a much tougher patient than I am! I don't know how you maintain such a fun loving attitude, in spite of feeling like crap. By this evening, I could feel my own symptoms turning into an earache too, so we had to make a late night run to get some medicine for me. You were so sweet, insisting on giving my ear and throat kisses to make me feel better. And even something so simple and mundane as a med run turned into a fun family trip tonight. You had Daddy and I cracking up as you ran around, in your fuzzy white fur boots, giggling and exploring both CVS and GFS like they were amusement parks. I could learn some lessons on embracing life from you kid. We are so lucky to be your parents. 

This morning we got up and I took you to get your Christmas pictures taken at Target. You were so cute as I put on your special green velvet Christmas dress, white tights, black shoes with heels, and put your hair up in little buns. You felt so fancy and were strutting around the living room, obviously pleased with yourself. As we drove to Target, you asked me to play "Hey Soul Sister" and "Party in the USA", singing along with nearly all the words. Each time a song would come on, you'd look at me and say, "my song!" Too cute. You did wonderful at your picture session, with only a minor lack of cooperation, to be expected from a two year old. I let you pick out a toy from the $1 bins before we left and you chose an airplane spoon ~ surprise, surprise. You love it and used it for everything the rest of the night.

This afternoon, you and I took a nap on the couch together, nearly 3 hours! You had wanted to sleep on one end of the couch, with me on the other, but at some point you crawled up and cuddled into the crook of my legs. It was one of the best naps I have had in a long time, a perfect cold, snowy, lazy day activity. And some of the best medicine for either of us with our colds ~ sleep!

Hopefully, we can get some more cozy naps in before Christmas, so we can be all healthy and ready to spread that Christmas cheer by Saturday! In the meantime, I decorated the house (and your room) with Christmas lights to help keep us in a good mood until Christmas day, in spite of being sick.

one side of your room...in my opinion, Christmas lights make everything better!
Love you baby,
Mama


1 comment:

  1. I want my room to look like that for Christmas! Love the pic of her holding snowman's hands!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete