Hi kiddo!
A hodgepodge of stuff plus the holidays. Let's go!
 |
| ridiculous that they treat me like a couch |
a gift from my birthday ~ a squirrel picnic spot 😍
the first time he willingly slammed into a snuggle w me
I took Daddy out for a fancy birthday dinner at the Butcher and Rose...woweee!
And also surprised him with a trip to a working farm where we could get up close and personal with these fur babies.
even a one-eyed rescue horse
"nice beard, goat"
these pigs were HUGE
In October I took a trip to DC w Stacy and Lisa...we just so happened to get there at the exact time they were having the big nationwide No Kings protest. Pretty cool. It was a good trip and you were so sweet to totally bust your butt to clean the house before I got home. All on your own. I was so pleasantly surprised and it was SO beyond appreciated.
a brunch drag show
and a rage room session
my quiet morning run through DC - behind me is the Capitol building
Then later towards Halloween I took a girls' camping trip and we did a ridiculous ghost photo shoot.
do you expect any less from me and my friends by now?
a chilly morning before we pack up and head out
Dad then took a turn to go out of town and went to see Courtney get married in San Diego. He ended up getting sick and had to come home early, which was a real bummer for him. But he did get to see the wedding and it was so nice to see Courtney marrying her true love.
When he got home, you immediately asked to feel his back to check for fever and said, "C'mere, let's see if I have your powers, too" Lol - it was so cute that you truly believe Dad has special fever sensing powers. I love it. Haha.
Also, speaking of another funny story. You had a night at your new job at Sierra Trading Post (congrats, btw)...and were running the cash register when a kid began throwing a tantrum. His folks were shopping and trying to check out and so you took pity and had sympathy for her so tried to cheer her up by letting her scan some of the items. She loved it and it made me realize something as you shared the story. As much as you grump about kids, that was such a sweet gesture. I love hearing about and watching you interact with the world as a new young adult. And maybe, just maybe, you have more of a soft spot for littles than you're willing to let on. Ha.
you and some friends goofing on shift at Sierra
cuddle shots with Shark (above) and Peanut (below)
The following are some pics from me and the girls' time at the Halloween Highball in Cbus. I was a pirate, Ashley was Cheesy Nicks (Stevie Nicks w cheese), Angela was Ursula, Kelly was William the worm from Labyrinth, and Marisha was a scary vampire girl. Maybe someday you'll come hang with us on one of these evenings of costumed craziness?
See below? You already have a costume! M the giant shark!
you and some of your Ft Hayes classmates on Halloween
After Halloween, November 3rd was a BIG day for our family...not only was it Lao Lao's birthday but you ALSO passed your CNA / STNA exam!! Woot woot!! You came home the day before thinking you messed up too bad to pass but you actually found out you got 100% - you silly goose!!! So proud of all of your hard work and tenacity! What an achievement!
 so, while she celebrated her birthday, she's also been dealing with some some pain in her hips lately. |
due to the temporary hip issues, she has required a walking stick, but I think it makes Lao Lao look even cooler, yes?
|
A few days later, Tina called all excited because she saw you at STP and you rang up her purchases. And I got to share about passing the CNA/STNA exam and your tattoos tomorrow. She said it's such a hoot and so rad to see you all grown up. Lol
 |
| a message from Papaw made permanent |
Tattoos (your reward for passing the CNA exam) are done and the day you peeled the plastic off, I caught you swagging it up in the bathroom mirror. Admiring the new ink. So...my favorite little swagger is still buried in there somewhere. Lol
Our government is being ridiculous (what's new, right?) so one perk of a partial government shutdown meant that a bunch of us government employees got free zoo admission. Obviously the girls and I took full advantage even on the coldest day so far this year!
Along with all the fun shenanigans, we also had quite the scare. You got into your first car accident and it ended up totalling your car. You were fine (thank gawd) other than some injuries to your hand and finger. The lady who hit you was pretty awful and since it was 100% her fault, we decided to sue. Still waiting on that outcome so we'll see. But, bottom line and most importantly, you're ok.
After the accident and just before Thanksgiving, you and I headed to VA to see the Willliams fam and also so you could job shadow with Stacy at the hospital. You LOVED it and soaked in every minute. So nice of Stacy to do that for us!
school lunch visit with KK
and I even got to wake up early and help out
at the horse rescue sanctuary with Stacy
We attended our annual Thanksgiving at the Yersaviches' house and then a stop at Marisha's. Her mom just passed away and so we gathered there later in the evening to support her on this first of many first holidays without her mama.
you got to hang with Avery, Noah, and Evan
once we got to Marisha's
my new turkey day shirt
Speaking of tbankful - you got a new car after all of that accident debacle. We were super sad to say goodbye to the C-Max, but I think you're pretty pleased with this new zoom zoom!
And now...a little Shark photo bomb break.
And then came Christmas!
We exchanged gifts in our usual fashions, and this year you were very excited to give me one on particular. A new Fitbit (since mine was on its last legs). It was so thoughtful and you were so excited. I love it and will use it every single day!
A day or so later, we had a fun breakfast at a 24/7/365 Christmas themed diner here in town. Over the top and tacky, just the way I like it.
Then shortly after Christmas, we took you to the border so you could spend New Year's with Julia and her family!
Your big Canada trip for NYE went great! You seemed to thoroughly enjoy your time there. While there was lots of driving back and forth for me, and a tad bittersweet with it being your first NYE away from us and also given some of the bumps in the road with raising a teen, all went well. On the way there, in the spirit of transparency and with so much time on the road together, I attempted some heartfelt sharing about how I feel regarding your lack of hugs for us parents, and your seeming discomfort with 'I love you(s)' from you in our relationship. With you getting older, my fears of losing connection have been growing as you spread your wings more and more away from our nest. I shared how I still hope we can talk about alexythymia (your self-described difficulty with identifying and expressing your feelings and emotions) sometime soon, along with any and everything else to help bring us closer. I suspect it was a bit much of a conversation to attempt with you on the outset of a big trip like this, but I just wanted to get my feelings out in the open vs bottling them up. However, once home, things appear to be returning to normal here in this new year as the days have ticked by so, hopefully all is and will be well moving forward. I do have faith in our foundation of love for one another, in spite of any bumps along the way.
Anyway...
Going back to the very beginning of the trip, when I initially dropped you off, we stayed overnight in Windsor while we waited for the Rebelo's to meet us there for the pick up the next morning. For some reason, you were craving fish and chips late that night. So, I walked my happy ass down the street to an English pub and drank a beer while I waited for your food.

|
if my baby wants fish and chips at 10pm, they get fish and chips (even if I have to trudge down the street in bitter cold Canadian winter and sit in an English pub for 20 min while drinking a pint to get it)
|
The next morning the hand-off of you into the Rebelo family's truck went smoothly. And, you were on your way to your first solo (ish) international adventure!
And the pic below are some texts between us with you encouraging me on my long drive home as you tracked me on Life 360. You're a sweet, ornery little smartass (and I love you).
 |
| a toilet paper roll to chew |
Below are some of the only pics I got from you during your time away.
 |
| the only two pics I got from your time there...cuties |
And while you were in Canada, the usual debauchery and shenanigans were happening down below in the states at our house. We missed you, but I'm so glad you had fun on your own, too!
And of course, the New Year's Day dinner with the Wilkinsons. We missed you again, but hopefully you'll join next year.
I came back up to get you in Windsor after the new year, and we stopped at Eminem's restaurant in Detroit, Mom's Spaghetti, on the way home. It's just a window in the wall of an alley where you order and take your food, then go inside to sit at another restaurant to eat. Kinda weird, and the food was just so so, but we had to try it.
 |
| ordering your food at Mom's Spaghetti |
Ok, so I suppose that is about it for now. I can't believe we're heading into 2026, the year you turn 18 AND graduate high school!
Where has the time gone?
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment