Thursday, August 2, 2018

Your First Lazy Days Summer Turned Out To Be Anything But

Mali ~

Happy July! Started off with a bang at the Doo Dah Parade. My second favorite local parade of the year! Unfortunately, Daddy had to work during nearly all the 4th of July festivities, but we made the most of it anyway.


this is actually Jill...a friend of ours in the #resistance

the always cool "peace guy"


Then, in spite of feeling hot, sweaty, and tired, just you and I ventured in to the 'ville to watch the fireworks with the Meyer family. We found the perfect parking spot to zip in and out quickly for which I was really thankful. Fireworks traffic anywhere can be a bear!

you, Jos, and Dylan just as the fireworks were starting
Just two days later happened to be our 9th(!) Family Day. Once again, unfortunately, this new job not only had Daddy working but had him all the way down in Florida during this special anniversary. Since he was out of town, Lao Lao was staying with us to help out. We are so thankful for her help and constant presence in our lives. Not sure what we would do without her on so many levels.
Anyhoo, on July 6th (our Family Day), you and Lao Lao rode your bikes all the way into the 'ville and I met you at China Garden for lunch before you got back on your bikes and headed home. I think we counted up that it was about a 6 mile ride for you on your new bike. Nicely done, peanut! You were feeling pretty badass for having gone so far on your own. I think I can hear your muscles growing even now!

unlocking the bikes after lunch

ready to rock n roll!
While I have mentioned that you rode your bikes, what I haven't mentioned is that on your ride home, I proceeded to drive just a bit ahead of you and then quickly park and ambush you with my camera to take videos or pictures of you from the bushes or the side of the road. Lao Lao said that by the end of your journey, you were so giggly and jumpy just wondering where I would pop out next. It was hilarious.



trying to hide from me at my second ambush spot




That night, we headed out to Magic Mountain for some go kart fun. We sure missed Daddy on this special anniversary, but had a great time just the three of us and vowed to celebrate again once Daddy was home from Florida.



We mixed it up with a little bumper boat action that night too...it was so hot outside that soaking each other completely felt pretty darn good. I, wisely, volunteered to hold all of our stuff and opted out of the bumper boats (and stayed dry)...smart, smart mommy. Ha ha.


laughing your butt off at a very wet Lao Lao

And this...I can't even remember what was happening here...I just remember laughing with you. Something about a crab. Silly kid.


Once Daddy came home from Florida, he made up for lost time and took you and your friends to the pool as much as he could on his days off while I was at work. Then I took you guys (usually with Lao Lao) on the other days. It was nice for you to get more time at the pool this summer, more than in summers past. Your swimming has improved by leaps and bounds this year with all this extra fish time. It's been impressive and fun to watch your growing ease in the pool.



Have I mentioned how much I love that Lao Lao lives within a quarter mile of us? So many spontaneous moments wouldn't have happened had this not been the case. I am forever grateful for all of these simple, precious moments.


And, as you can see above about the pesto conversation, and then below with you making your first solo cheesy omelet, you have taken a new interest in cooking this summer. You aren't quite chef level yet, but you are learning little by little, and kicking butt with each step. That's how it all starts.


Building off of your 6 mile bike ride on Family Day, the three of us rode a whopping 12 miles into town and back for the local art and music festival on probably one of the hottest days of the year. We were sweaty and beat...shoving ice in our shirts and shorts to cool us down before leaving the festival...but we had a good time and I was so proud of you for making it the whole way! That is huge, kiddo! I am so glad we could get you that new bike...it's been an awesome motivator and source of fun and independence for you.

cool bridge selfie on our way to the festival

more cleaning water while fishing with Daddy
(our little environmentalist)
This month there were also a lot of random sleepovers. Some at Carter and Ana's house, but most of them were at our house. Casual crashing with friends is one glorious part of a lazy summer. I'm glad you can finally experience that.

I snapped this one morning when you asked me to sleep
downstairs with you...petting Pip in your sleep (so sweet)

to say that Ana moves a lot in her sleep is an understatement

and this...this was a common sight...me trying to just relax in
our room and before I know it, a kid pile on...ha ha ha.
Remember when I said that when Daddy came home we would be going out to officially celebrate our Family Day? Well...on July 16th, the day we arrived at home with you from China in 2009, we headed out with Daddy to BD Mongolian BBQ (your choice) for a family dinner and some silliness.

Daddy decided to shave before dinner and for whatever reason, decided to try a new look...a moustache! We all had a good chuckle at this surprise. But...as we say in our family...if it makes you happy and comfortable, you can look however you want! However, as you can see below, we couldn't let the opportunity go by without having a little more fun with it.



This month you also ran (er, walked) your first 5K ~ The Color Run aka The Happiest 5K on the Planet! It was kind of a last minute thing but Lao Lao and Audrey joined us too. Basically, what happens is they have all of these color stations with corn starch-based color powder that they throw all over you as you run past. By the end of the race, you are covered in a variety of bright colors. It really is a pretty cool idea and a lot of fun. The race felt like it went by so quickly because we just kept looking out for the next color station, and the next, and the next, and then poof! We were done.

ready to race!

look how clean we all are!

getting a little bit of color

and a little more

oh boy! 

the green station was crazy!


at the finish line party ~ color, color everywhere!

and this is what happens when you hug your dog
after The Color Run
The next day, Audrey and I went to see a documentary about one of our childhood heroes ~ Mr. Fred Rogers. It was fitting that we saw this movie together since we grew up with this beautiful soul gracing our television sets throughout our formative years, and also because she and I have been the best of friends for over 35 years. I sure hope you can find a true blue, unconditionally loving and supportive friend for yourself in your life. There is truly nothing like it in the world.


So, along with swimming and running 5K(s) and riding your bike and swimming at the pool and going to parades and festivals, etc...you (along with Carter) also decided that this month would be a great time to try to teach GG how to walk on a leash. I actually think he likes it too!


July was also the month that our family decided it was time to renew our passports and consider what parts of the world we want to explore. It has been fun to brainstorm and dream about where we want to adventure together. Our passports should arrive in about a month or so and after that, the world is our oyster!

mug shots ~ they won't let you smile so we look
pretty badass...no?

digging through our old passports, we found your first one
from about age 3 ~ so stinkin' cute!

The end of July brought back around the Ohio State Fair. You, Lao Lao, and I went early on a Sunday morning as a way to beat the heat and crazy crowds. No better way to start the morning than with fried Oreos, right?


this was a text I received from Daddy while we were at the fair...I
guess he was having flashbacks from when we brought
the bunnies home, huh?



taking a picture of your beloved bubble tea that
we almost didn't find at the fair

these piglets were adorable, loud, and hungry!


Ohio...the heart of it all
That same night, Lao Lao and I (along with my friends Tanisha, Ashley, and Alysia) headed back to the fairgrounds to see one of our favorite comedians and progressive thinkers...Trevor Noah! You had really wanted to come with us but my friend Tanisha had bought our tickets so I made a promise to bring you the next time we saw him. I love that you have an appreciation for such a positive role model as Trevor Noah already at age 10. Now...I definitely need to keep my promise to you, huh?


When I came home, you had the following question to ask as we brushed our teeth...and it totally threw me for a curve. Ha ha. How do you think I handled it? 


And another night you and I ventured out to Fourth Fridays in the 'ville and on the way home, the following happened. 


Ha. So many silly conversations and commentary between us. I love it. I wouldn't have it any other way. You are so much fun to be around.

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment