Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Family Day 2016


Oh, Mali. Where to start this year?
Our Family Day snuck up on us what with your recent surgery at the end of June. I apologize for being a little scatter-brained lately. I have been forgetful of a lot but today is one of a few days in the year that are special and demand reflection and attention. Today, of all days, is a bittersweet one. 7 years ago on this date, we met you for the very first time and each of our worlds was deeply rocked. Watching clips from the video of that day have a deeper and deeper meaning as you grow to understand more about your beginnings in this world, your story. Daddy and I understand that and hope that you always feel safe enough to express anything you need to about those beginnings…your birth family…us. Your feelings may run the gamut and I want you to know that there is nothing off limits in our family. For myself, I will always think of your birth family, some days more than others, and wish I had more answers than questions. I will also always feel grateful to them for bringing you into this world. We may not know the exact circumstances that led them to make the very grown up decisions that they did, but I do know that it was not a decision taken lightly and I suspect they think about you and that decision often. The significance of July 6th, unlike the date of your birth, is very particular to our family alone though since it is a date where the three of us became a “set”, a family. It’s funny how I can barely remember what our lives were like before you were in them. So, while I may be forgetting a lot of other things lately, this is always a date where I set aside time to think of your birth family and send loving thoughts across the oceans, hoping that it somehow reaches them. Daddy and I count our blessings every day that we get to share this adventure of life with you. We love you more than words can express, more than you will ever know. Forever and always.

So, happy Family Day, Mali!

Thank you so much for letting us love you.
Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment