Over the last few weeks a lot of changes have been happening, biggest of all was your birthday. 7! Seven years old! Wow. Where does the time go? When the big day arrived, I had the following letter written. A letter to your birth parents. Never a day goes by that I don't think of them, but especially on your birthday. The day you came into this world and they saw your face for the first time. You have also been thinking about them a bit more (or at least, verbalizing that you have to me) as well. The "question box" as we've called it came back out, all on your own. You had us all write questions on tiny slips of paper that we could put in it. Your first question was "What was life when I was a baby?" and then "What is my grandma and grandpa's names?" It was interesting to hear the things that you are beginning to wonder about and I made sure to reassure you that it's normal to think about and wonder about your China parents. I'm glad that you shared this little bit with us.
![]() |
| thinking... |
I read my letter to your parents to you as well and you laughed at some parts and were thoughtful on others. While you didn't want me to put it in your "question box", I wanted to at least leave it here for you. For them.
March 5th, 2015
Dear Mali’s China Parents,
Can you believe Mali is turning 7 years old already? Her birthday is tomorrow. She is growing up so fast and I just want to say thank you so much for bringing her into this world. Mali is the most precious treasure we have ever known.
Not a day goes by when I don’t think of you and wonder where you are and how you are doing. Do you think about us too? Well, in case you do…here is a little bit of an update on Mali as she enters her 7th year.
Mali is an amazing student in school. She is learning to read (and getting pretty good at sounding out words, even the big ones!). She also LOVES math. Do you like math too? Maybe she gets that from you. Mali gets along very well with her friends and classmates in school and likes to be very helpful to anyone who needs it, kids and grown-ups alike. The teachers all appreciate it very much. I think you would be very proud of her. We definitely are.
Outside of school, Mali is learning to speak and write Mandarin, is learning to dance hip hop, and will be starting soccer next month. She is a very fast runner and enjoys exercising with both myself and Shawn (my husband/her dad). Mali thinks that her new running shoes help her go faster, but I really think it’s her feet that are so fast! Maybe you are a fast runner too and she gets her speed from you? She also has been riding a bike without training wheels for quite a while now. She does fantastic and I love when I go running and she can ride her bike with me. It’s been cold and snowy lately but when it warms up, I look forward to going on these runs and rides with her.
At home we have 2 dogs and 1 cat. Mali’s dog, Suzy, adores her and Mali takes very good care of her. Mali is kind to all animals and enjoys learning about them. Just last night she was reading a book about groups of animals for school. Do you like animals? Do you have any pets?
Mali has also grown a lot over the last year. We keep a measurement of her growth on the wall in her room. Her legs in particular have gotten so long! Do you have long legs too? She just recently lost her last front tooth and has lost several now. Her smile is so adorable. Do you remember losing your teeth as a child? The Tooth Fairy comes to our house. Do you have the Tooth Fairy in China too?
A few more things about Mali, she has the most fantastic sense of humor. She can make anyone laugh with her jokes and all around ability to be silly and laugh. She is a fun loving person and a joy to have around for all those that know her. And oh boy…can Mali dance! She loves music and has got some of the best dance moves that will knock your socks off! Maybe those come from you? She has a gorgeous singing voice and I love when I hear her singing. And finally, Mali has a very unique and cool sense of style. She has this black belt with silver on it that she loves. She also enjoyed wearing a suit with a vest and tie to our Chinese New Year celebration this year. She looked sharp! Speaking of Chinese New Year, she and I went into her daycare and shared all about how we celebrate the holiday, then she went in to her first grade class where she helped her teacher share about the holiday. They read a book, made a craft, showed traditional clothes (like her Kung Fu suit and qi pao from when she was little), and even passed out hung bao to her friends. I bet it would make you happy that she is sharing these Chinese traditions with her friends. How do you celebrate this holiday, the Lunar New Year? I bet it would be fun to celebrate with you.
Tomorrow I will bring treats for Mali’s first grade class (red, blue, green and yellow candy moustaches – her choice) so that they can celebrate Mali’s birthday. Then next week we will head to a clay studio so that Mali and some of her friends and cousins can make clay creations (again, Mali’s choice) and will even get to use a pottery wheel! I thought that was a really cool pick for a birthday party this year.
So basically, with the anniversary of Mali’s birth coming up again, I just really want you to know that I am thinking of you and that Mali is ok. Her Daddy and I love her very much. We think of you often and wonder about you. When I look at Mali, I wonder which features of her wonderful face are yours, her China mom and China dad. I wonder if she has your nose, your eyes, your lips, your ears, your chin, your hands. I wonder so many things. I wonder if she shares your laugh. I even wonder if you like to be tickled as much as she does. I wonder so many things. And that’s ok. I even told Mali a rhyme lately that helps when I think of you. It was shared with her as we gazed at the full moon a few weeks ago. It goes like this… “I see the moon and the moon sees me and the moon sees that someone that I long to see. So God bless the moon and God bless me and God bless that someone that I long to see.” I hope and pray that you are well and that when you look up at the moon at night, I hope that you know that we can see the same moon and that we are thinking of you.
Love,
Theresa (aka Mali’s mom)
*sigh* I know that I can't mail this letter to anywhere in particular right now. But it sure helps me to write down some of my thoughts and feelings to them, your first parents. Somehow, somewhere...I hope they can sense my words. I have a strong belief that we are all more connected than we recognize. I don't know how. I just do.
As for the rest of the last few weeks, it's a bit more light-hearted. You and I had fun shopping at Party City for birthday supplies, coming up with the idea of and then making candy mustaches for your class, and in spite of having a brief illness, we were still able to enjoy some snow play and puzzles together.
The week of your actual birthday, you were such an angel each morning. You were stoked to be turning 7. Seven!!
As usual, on the morning of your birthday I had your birthday surprise waiting for you. In fact, you were looking so forward to it that you woke up at 2:30am and asked when we could get up for your birthday. It was an anticipation that rivaled only Christmas eve. So cute.![]() |
| at Party City |
![]() |
| my snow shoveling team |
![]() |
| our family snowman |
![]() |
| introducing baby Caleb |
You awoke to put on your special customized birthday shirt, a Beastie Boys tribute this year, and then to walk out into a decorated hallway where you had to bust through streamers into your 7th year, and then to find a decorated kitchen filled with signs and balloons and special birthday treats and this year a special necklace and light-up bow tie for your big day. You are typically not a huge hugger so it meant a lot to me when you walked in and came to give me a hug after seeing everything. Made my
heart glow.
Here is a video of you emerging from our bedroom and checking out your birthday surprises...
http://youtu.be/JatsDBoqnJE
| excited 7 year old! |
And us singing you 'Happy Birthday' to you that morning...
http://youtu.be/Piy8Abigj7k
![]() |
| 'MALI' cinnamon rolls |
| a nice wholesome sugar-filled breakfast |
![]() |
| birthday necklace to wear at school |
Later that day I brought the candy mustaches we had made to your first grade class and everything went great. Miss Stenger thought they were so cute and said that no one had ever brought a treat quite like that before. (Great idea, Mali!)
We then dropped in to Goddard on the way home because Miss Julie had made you brownies, a card and bought you a gift. It was just the sweetest gesture. I love that you have teachers that care so much!
![]() |
| you adore Miss Julie |
![]() |
| lighting Miss Julie's brownies |
http://youtu.be/uIA2xOmXmD0
![]() |
| silly |
![]() |
| let the fun begin! |
![]() |
| evidently when you turn 7, you're infused with "7 power!!!"... or so I'm told. I live with crazy people! |
And moving right along with our celebrations, the very next weekend was your actual birthday party with friends and family. You picked a "clay party" which, upon clarifying this with you, consisted of making clay creations (hoping to use a pottery wheel and everything). It was a tall order but luckily we found a little studio that could accommodate exactly what you wanted and it went unbelievably well and was a cool experience for everyone. The studio was pretty cool and was run by a woman who not only throws clay, but also blows glass and paints too. You were adorable as you hopped on the pottery wheel, taking your craft very seriously. You also had quite a knack for it and your vase turned out fantastic! I can't wait to get it back from her in about a month all glazed and fired. Then, not only did you do splendidly on the pottery wheel, but you also took it upon yourself to go around and help each of your guests if they needed it. You truly are a phenomenal kid, I mean, really one of a kind. You impress me every day with your kind and generous soul.
![]() |
| we gave Morgan and Jocelyn a ride to your birthday party and the three of you sang "Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran in the backseat...it was so cute! |
![]() |
| your crazy I Spy birthday cake! |
| your guests from left to right: Jocelyn, Joey, Erin, Sammy, Alex, (you), Gabby, Morgan, and Mia |
| you all loved running around on the porch in the sunshine in between birthday party activities |
| your artist smock |
| learning about the clay and getting ideas on what to make |
| learning about the pottery wheel |
| testing out the pedal and how fast or slow your wheel and clay can spin |
| getting a feel for it |
| that moment of joy as you are really getting into it |
| you definitely have a knock for pottery...look at you! |
| letting Daddy feel what it's like |
| naughty Memaw |
| showing Daddy how to do it |
| helping Sammy |
| even Daddy got to try the wheel |
| helping Jocelyn |
| oh, how I love my peanut! |
![]() |
| search party assembly |
![]() |
| "hey Mom! come here! look! look! look! my first tire mark!" |
![]() |
| insisted on wearing your vest because, "Mom! I have to wear it! It's from Jo in Colorado!" |
![]() |
| "you know, Mom...in case we get peckish" |
![]() |
| look at that smile! |
You: "Mommy, did you know happiness is in your left elbow?"
Me: "No. Where did you learn that?"
You: *twinkling your fingers* "I'm magic!"
I love, love, love you (and your magical happy left elbow) so much!
Love,
Mama






























No comments:
Post a Comment