Maliana ~
Started the week with a fresh haircut...the shortest it's ever been and you love it! You kept commenting on how different you look. It's the perfect little bob for kindergarten.
 |
so short and so easy...our compromise since you wanted
hair as short as Daddy's or a mohawk! |
When we got home, Daddy loved your haircut. After getting settled in, I can honestly say that I have no idea what happened next. Somehow you became in charge of a performance that you dreamed up involving a luchador mask, underwear, flip flops, and the Beastie Boys. You kept telling Daddy exactly what to do and all I am sure of is that Daddy was a very good sport to play along with you. You are one silly kid!
On the way home from school on Tuesday, we chatted about your day. I don't know what sparked this conversation at school, but you told me that you were telling a classmate that boys can marry boys and girls can marry girls. I agreed with you and said that yes, that's right...because love is love, period. It was just a little detail shared from your day, but I love the larger idea that you are getting the message, defeating the needless hatred and bigotry, and attempting to set it straight, one kid at a time. I told a friend of mine what you had said and she replied..
."That is the most awesome thing I have ever heard!! She is going to be so amazing!!", and then later..."she inspires me when I see your posts...I swear she will be a person who changes the world...I am sure of it..." I appreciate this friend's support so much, and have to agree with her. If there are enough kids like you, speaking from their hearts and minds (not only about this issue of gay rights, but about so much more), I have such hope for the future and faith in humanity. I hope you always hold tight to your ability to be honest and speak out for yourself and on behalf of others...it will not only serve you well in the future but you can be such a force for good in helping those who need a little help finding their voice too.
And speaking of those who need a little extra help...we took in a rescue kitty Tuesday night as well! She had been dumped at a friend's work over the weekend and needed a home desperately. Fingers crossed it will all work out...she's been a bit of a challenge since we've taken her in. We have an appointment early next week to get her checked out, so hopefully she'll be feeling better and have settled in a little more by then. Hopefully! But anyway...here she is!
 |
| first official cuddle time |
 |
making a little bit of progress...she's spent most of
her time hiding from all of us so far |
We got a visit from Audrey this week (which is always fun) and we ate dinner together and then had a dance party in the living room and played a few other goofy games. Always a good time when Ayi is around!
That particular day I also posted on Facebook about how hard it is for me to find school clothes for you (you start in a month! eek!) because of how pathetically gender-stereotyped the retail stores are with their girls and boys sections. I asked friends for advice on finding clothes for my girl with the
"super hero/rock star/dinosaur lover/tomboy style". I got a ton of great suggestions (one of the perks of being connected through Facebook). But I was surprised by a message from Jo, the same friend who remarked on how you will change the world one day earlier in the week. She took it one step further and is taking it upon herself to send you some packages all the way from Colorado (where she lives), handpicking all sorts of clothes that she thinks you will like. I was humbled by her generosity and tickled to think of how excited you will be to get your very own packages in the mail. As we messaged back and forth, we touched on what to tell you when you got the packages from someone you've never met. I told Jo that Mali is aware that I have friends I keep in touch with through Facebook that know a lot about her from my stories. She suggested I tell you that she was sending you these packages because "her mommy and daddy's friend thinks she is a great kid and to keep up the good work!" Wow! What kind words! These compliments from Jo mean a lot to me because I adore Jo. See, I used to work with her at AirNet (where Daddy and I met) and thanks to Facebook, we have been able to reconnect and keep in touch even though we live several states apart. From all I know of her, she is a wise, kind, funny, brave, loving, open-hearted and open-minded, thoughtful, and generous person. She also allows herself to be vulnerable in the best and most enlightening of ways. It's always good to have people like Jo in your life, even if they are miles and miles away. It also takes my breath away to know that you have touched her life in such a way too. So just remember that sweetie. When you are feeling low, or small, or insignificant...you have the ability to inspire people that you have never even met (and you're only 5!) Just like I try to tell you..."I see you. I hear you. You are important!" You make a difference kiddo...remember that.
Before bed that night, you found some leftover sparklers from 4th of July, so of course we had to light some...
 |
| so cool! |
 |
| making BIG circles now! |
Another friend of ours also thought of you this week when she was looking for a new home for her kids' T-Rex sleeping bags. She generously brought them over and dropped them off...you love them! It was so very nice of her to think of you and when I thanked her for them, she said
"I knew she was the PERFECT one for them!"
 |
loving your new sleeping bags! so nice!
Thank you Haruna! |
Lao Lao came over later that night to
babysit 'play like mad' with you and as per usual protocol, you could not wait for her to arrive, were so excited to shoo Daddy and I out the door, and had a blast with her!
After staying up pretty late on Friday, we were exhausted which made Saturday a very long and busy, but good day. We got up early to go to the Dash for Donation to support Aunt Lindsey and the Lifeline of Ohio in memory of your Uncle Dustin. We were all very tired but it is always nice to support a cause as worthy as this one!
 |
| showing off your tattoo |
 |
| ready to roll! |
 |
| Team Dustin 2013 |
 |
| with our Aunt Lindsey |
 |
| at the start of the race...gorgeous sunshine to light the way |
Then after a nap (which probably should have been longer), we headed to Rittman, OH for Daddy's second cousin, Mathias' graduation party. It is always nice to see that side of the family and there were about a million and one kids there for you to play with so you had a blast! As we drove home, I posted this on Facebook...
"~ While cleaning Mali's dirty little feet tonight after she played hard barefoot all evening, I asked her if she knew what dirty feet on a kid means...to which she replied "It means I had fun!" (Yep! We have our summertime priorities straight around here!)"
 |
| LPS fun with Brooklyn |
And finally, I've told you before how much you love listening to and singing "Never Grow Up", right? Well, I overheard you talking to your friends and making them listen to this song too, while you sung right along as well. They weren't as big of fans of that song as you, however you didn't let that stop you from singing your little heart out to the whole thing. I love that you are so into such a meaningful song. You are pretty special, kid.
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment