Maliana ~
Wow! Another whole year that I got to be called Mommy. What a lucky, lucky woman I am. It's flying by so fast. I’ll begin with our Mothers’ Day celebration on Sunday and then work my way backwards through our week.
For MommyFest 2012, we had our Moms over for a cookout on Sunday. Lao Lao, Memaw, Papaw, Uncles Flint and Forge, as well as the three of us were all in attendance and it was basically a nice, quiet evening spent together. It rained nearly all day with a light drizzle so we had to stay inside, but that was no big deal since we now have our new kitchen. It was our first family gathering since all of the remodeling was completed and the extra room made a world of difference. Everything went off without a hitch and you had a blast playing with everyone, getting crazy with your uncles after dinner. By the time they left, you hardly had any voice left and you were as wound up as the Tasmanian devil.
 |
| getting ready to chow down on your creation |
 |
| destroying the fruit pizza |
 |
| the gang on Mothers' Day 2012 |
 |
| silly group shot |
 |
| just the ladies |
 |
| loves her uncles! |
Prior to everyone’s arrival, you helped me make a fruit pizza for dessert and were so proud of your project. In fact, as soon as you woke up on Sunday morning you wanted to work on it right away, but Daddy convinced you to help him make me breakfast first. Thank you Daddy!
 |
| scrambled eggs for Mommy! |
And when it came time to finally make the fruit pizza, what are we adding to the icing, Mali?
Click the link to find out. Ha ha.....
http://youtu.be/zDXZqeQd4xM
 |
| mmm...licking the beaters! |
 |
| getting started on her fruit pizza masterpiece! |
 |
and voila! complete with a strawberry "stonehenge" and
a red raspberry forest! |
And speaking of Mother’s Day morning, I had the best wake up. We snuggled together all night, and the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was your sweet sleeping face. Daddy snuck this picture of us while we were still snoozing and I swear, there is no way I’d rather wake up. Ever.
 |
this is actually a common way we sleep together...I
have more than one picture like this. I love it! |
And if this week ended with a celebration of moms, the week began with you and Daddy doing some serious bonding together. You requested a date with him one night so you both headed to Easton where you suckered him into some Yagoot and a Lightening McQueen ball cap. You obviously thought you were Miss Thang with it on…
 |
| "So what, So what, So whatcha want?!" |
When you got home, I asked how your date went and you said, “So cool. Awesome!”
Another day Daddy took you fishing at Sharon Woods. While Daddy actually snagged the fish on the hook, he let you reel it in. Your reaction was priceless!!
You are officially a fishing enthusiast now! And spending this time with Daddy is so good for both of you.
 |
| got one! |
 |
| our little fisher-woman |
And finally, Daddy swears you didn’t learn this from him, but I have to share one more story and let you be the judge of where you think you learned it. As Daddy was buckling you into your car seat one morning, you acted like he pinched your thigh. You then ever so dramatically grabbed your leg near your crotch and yelled, “Ow! My balls!” It was early in the morning, and even without coffee, Daddy was at full alert when you said that, asking, “What did you say?” To which you repeated that infamous phrase again. It was all he could do not to burst out laughing. Later that day when I picked you up at school, you told me all about it. “Mommy, did you know that Daddy hit my balls this morning?” (Having heard this story from Daddy already, I was able to maintain a bit more composure). I asked, “Really? Well, where are your balls?” To which you replied casually, “Um, I don’t know.” And that was the end of the discussion. Daddy is sticking to his story that you didn’t hear it from him, so we’ll blame it on the boys you hang around with at school for now. Never a dull moment with you, kid.
Saturday of this week, we had our monthly Fu playgroup and this time one of the families rented a bounce house and hosted a huge potluck cookout for everyone. It was so much fun, always good to spend time with the other parents and watch you crazy kids together. Remarkably, with the large group of kids at any given time in that bounce house, there was only one small injury (easily cured by a kiss and hug from her mom). And fortunately, for once, it wasn’t you.
 |
| a great turnout for our Fu Group cookout! |
This week brought a surprising shift for you at tang soo do. You expressed an interest for the first time ever in moving up in belts there. I don’t really know how serious this interest is since you don’t necessarily practice much at home, but you have definitely shown improvement while there in class. Instructor Wolfe allowed you to attempt to show him that you know the first fighting combination, which after practicing with him a few times, you were able to muddle through. You definitely need to keep working on memorizing the steps, but are definitely showing progress and so he awarded you a little yellow stripe (basically yellow duct tape on the end of your belt) to reflect this fact. You were proud of it, and it was very sweet when we opened the mailbox a couple days later to find a personalized postcard from Instructor Wolfe, addressed directly to you, congratulating you on your hard work. Cool stuff kid.
We also headed over to the Park of Roses this week to visit Uncle Dustin’s stone, to say hello to him and take your annual picture, as well as have a family picnic on a beautiful spring evening. We brought your big girl bike with us and you loved riding it along the paths that snake throughout the park. I’ll have to remember this bike riding option for you this summer, as well as come back when the roses are in full bloom. If you think it’s pretty right now, just wait until the roses are all open and smiling at us! Wai Gong grew up not far from this park and used to hang out here all the time as a kid, so not only is it pretty special because we get to visit Dustin here, but it holds a lifetime of memories for Wai Gong, as well as Ggma Hart.
 |
| Love you Uncle Dustin! |
 |
| the roses are just starting to bloom |
 |
| you loved the freedom of all the paths here |
 |
| one of Mommy's silly timer picture ideas |
And of course, I can’t let this week go by without giving a big heartfelt thank you to your birthmother. The woman who selflessly carried you for ten months in her belly and under her heart, only to find a special place where you could be found so that the red thread could bring you halfway around the world, into a new life with our family. I can’t imagine how hard that must have been for her and I hope that somehow she knows how grateful we are for the blessing she has given us in you. Daddy and I are so lucky, words can’t even begin to describe.
Happy Mothers’ Day!
I love you!
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment