Sunday, September 26, 2010

Happy Mid-Autumn Moon!

Happy Mid-Autumn Moon Maliana!

This week culminated in our attending a Mid-Autumn Moon celebration through COFCC on Saturday night. It was so much fun. You got all gussied up in your silk dress and we went to picnic at a local park (which had the best playground EVER!), where they had various crafts (your favorite being the glow in the dark moon pendant, which you walked around with, showing it off, like it was a backstage pass), singing and dancing with all of the other kids (which you dove right into and had a ball!), eating moon cakes (of course!), and then the evening finale which was a Chinese lantern parade where all the children and their parents marched around the park. We ran into a bunch of your friends from Rock My Bao Bao and you loved every minute of it. As I sat there watching you, I reflected on my own childhood. This particular celebration was described to us as a celebration of family, a family reunion of sorts, and the full moon as a symbol of the full family. As I watched you run from grandparent to grandparent, I was reminded of how I actually never knew my grandparents at your age. I don't know what it might feel like to have such a close, loving, and generally fun relationship with each and every one of your grandparents. But, whatever it must feel like (which appears to be wonderful judging from the look of pure happiness on your face), I am so happy to see you experience it, to be surrounded by so many people, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and other family members, and many, many friends, who adore you, and you them. As I said to Lao Lao tonight, you are the best thing that has ever happened to me.




And since Daddy had to miss the celebration due to being on call for work, you offered to go with him on his own private lantern parade once we got home, around our neighborhood...here you are just stepping out with him, clearly excited!

In the spirit of Autumn Moon, we also went to the local Asian market on Friday and bought a bunch of various foods to try, including our first moon cake mold!
 This weekend, both you and Abby went running with me since the weather was fabulous! Here is a picture of you, in one of your favorite Mickey Mouse sweatshirts, "running" the first quarter mile with me...you thought this was especially cool on this particular morning since I had a Mickey Mouse shirt on too.

As for the rest of the week...here it is in a nutshell.
On Monday, Miss Brandi said "We need 30 more kids like Mali" as we left for the day ~ oh, how they love you at school! You also had picture day at school and Daddy did a great job of putting your hair in pigtails ~ way to go Daddy! After school, you, Audrey, and I headed to the zoo and we FINALLY got to see the polar bears eating and swimming! It was so neat and you were in Heaven!

You went to the hospital with me after the zoo, to drop off a gift for one of Lao Lao's friends who had a baby. You brought a tear to my eye and a chuckle to my heart when you wanted to know where the airplane was, after all, we were visiting a new baby who had just arrived, duh?!? On the way home, after such a full day, you fell asleep in the car. I brought you in and sat down for dinner. You haven't been this sound asleep in a while, so I just ate with you on my lap...no matter how or when it happens, I can't resist the snuggle time.
On Tuesday, you and I headed into uptown Westerville and walked up and down the street, window shopping. Of course, we had to stop into Schneider's Bakery and get a cookie and milk. When we opened the door, you began hopping up and down and squealing and yelling, "Yayy!!!" Everyone waiting in line stopped, turned, and began laughing. It was hysterical. Then the guy in front of us said, "Yeah, this place'll do that to a grown adult too, especially at 1:30am!" I just love how expressive you are!! Once home, you went potty (which is so common now, you are darn near completely potty-trained!), and while I was in the kitchen, I heard a bunch of banging around from the bathroom, followed by an "Aww man!" I thought I'd better head in to inspect the "damage" but lo and behold, you were finishing dumping your own pee in the toilet from your potty chair ~ I couldn't believe it! You turned and signed/said "Help you!" and as I leaned over to thank you and give you a big hug, I nervously looked for a huge puddle, however there was none ~ you had done the job without spilling a drop! Way to go girl!! Needless to say, your hands (and arms) got an extra thorough scrubbing before leaving the bathroom...

Later Tuesday night, we headed over to the Metz's to take them dinner. In preparing the dinner, you helped me wash the asparagus and put the meatloaf together. I love being able to share these kinds of chores with you now. You have been really into wanting to help me do just about everything lately, and it is so adorable. I told you, "I like it when you help me cook, Mali" and you grinned and said softly, "Yeeahhh." Once we got everything done, we took it all over to the Metz's and you were thrilled to see them. You and Bei Bei got to know each other a little bit more and I can tell you are very interested in her, as well as very anxious for her to get this "walking thing" down as you kept telling her, "C'mon Niubei!" As we pulled out of their driveway, you yelled out the window, "Bye Bye Niubei! I love you!"

On Wednesday, for some reason, you decided to not take a nap at school and therefore had a complete meltdown on the way home. Well, I must be getting the hang of this whole "Mom" thing as I maintained my cool and stayed patient and understanding, which paid off after we were home. After much back and forth, you calmed down a bit and as I leaned over to kiss you as I got you a yogurt out of the refrigerator, all on your own, you said "I love you." I'm so glad you can have your fits, and through it all, still feel loved.

Some other neat things you are doing/saying now...reading your books to US now (well, most of the words anyway), saying "Zat?!" or "Happened?!" when you want to know "What's that?" or "What happened?", putting your silkie over your head and saying "Hey, Mali go?!?" and wanting us to act like we have no idea where you are, showing that you are learning how to be a true Browns fan by saying "Go Browns!" before every play and then saying "Allmmoosstt!" immediately after, and finally, waking up from naps (and sometimes in the morning) dry (you have really nailed this potty training thing quickly Mali!)

Actually, on Thursday you pooped on the potty for the first time AT SCHOOL! You had been holding out on that for some reason, and you finally decided it was time ~ we are so proud of you! This means that you will definitely be transitioning into the early pre-school class now! In fact, you had your first trial run in the early pre-school class for part of Thursday morning, and you did FABULOUS! When I picked you up, Miss Brandi said you came into the classroom and "ran the place", organizing a tea party of sorts with several of the kids at a round table in the play kitchen, then walked around with a phone, talking (or making plans, arranging another tea party, who knows!) I asked how the other kids took you, and she said they loved it and went along with whatever you wanted. Daddy and I were talking the other night, and came to the conclusion that we won't be surprised if you are a natural born leader! Time will tell, I suppose. No matter what, we'll love you, whatever you turn out to be!

Thursday night, you, Daddy, and I went to a pub to have dinner and a drink and say goodbye to an old dear friend of ours. You had another "poop first", (which I didn't realize all of these happened on the same day until right now as I write this blog), but you had your first poop on a public potty! You told me you had to go pee and when we got to the bathroom, you proceeded to tell me you wanted to take off your shirt, then pants, and shoes...then out of nowhere, you were pooping! No idea why you felt the need to disrobe in order to poop, but hey ~ whatever blows your hair back, kid! Any way you want to poop in a potty (vs your pants) is ok with me! Looking back, Thursday was a landmark potty day.

And finally, I believe I am witnessing more and more glimmers of your understanding the subtle nuances of social interaction and empathy...this week brought a couple spontaneous responses from you. As we bumped heads the other day, you said all on your own, "I'm sorry Mama". Then, I also told you the other day that I liked your shoes and you said, "Thank you Mama". Little things like this are big causes for celebration in my book...they're proof of cool little increments that you're growing up and turning into a really good person. I'm totally digging who you are becoming, every day.

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment