Monday, August 16, 2010

Sometimes you just need a weekend with no big demands...

Maliana ~

Well, it’s Monday morning and it was so hard to pull myself out of bed, where I was cozily snuggled up next to you. This weekend was nice because we had no major demands on our time, we watched a couple movies with you, and just spent time as family, but I still felt in a funk yesterday. Not sure why, but I couldn’t shake it, until we went to the park with you. We went to a park in Westerville and I climbed around with you for a while. You are getting so much better, climbing up and down all over the jungle gyms, so fearless and so much more coordinated. It made me smile to see how much progress you have made, not only since last summer, but just in the last 3-4 months! It’s funny how something as simple as watching your kid try things they have never tried before, and rejoicing in your adventurous spirit, can completely turn your mood around. I think I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again, you are amazing Mali.

A week ago today, Daddy took the day off after a long weekend on call, so we all spent a nice family day together. We played on a new really cool playground in Westerville, took a long bike ride, went out to dinner together, and generally had an awesome time. We changed you into your monkey suit @ the playground since you got completely soaked there, and it was apropos for your gymnastics on Daddy at dinner. I think you forgot you weren’t at the playground anymore and when I got up and came back to the table, this is what I saw…




















You loved wearing your monkey suit so much, you insisted on it at bedtime, to which I caved in and let you wear it, praying you wouldn’t roll over on the squeaker and wake yourself up!

You also melted Daddy’s heart by giving him 3 kisses on the lips @ bedtime. I think he’ll shave off his “fuzzy” (his goatee, as you call it), more often.

Audrey Ayi came over on Thursday to spend some time with us. You surprised us both by now calling her “Aud-ey” instead of “Awwa” as you have since you came home. You also strung together a pretty good phrase of “Audrey, more cheese please.” Wow! Overnight, all of a sudden, you are able to say all kinds of new things. It’s so cool! You also surprised the teachers at school by pointing out each of their cars to them. You blew Amy and Marie away! I can’t believe you noticed that either. You pay attention to everything!

Thursday evening brought an exciting event as we headed to the airport to welcome our friends home from China. They brought their little girl, Mia, home!! It was really exciting and brought back so many fond memories for us, bringing you home just a little over a year ago. We made a sign for her and held it up as they walked down the hallway. You looked so cute holding it…















It will be so fun to get to know Mia and watch you girls grow up together.

On Friday, Dad told me you insisted on re-wearing the glittery red, white, and blue outfit we had put you in for the airport on Thursday night. This was the first time you have expressed wanting to choose your own clothes for school. It was so cute.

We also spent Friday evening at the Shelton’s house for some homemade ice cream. Yummy! You played with your buddies Carter and Cassidy and you three were so adorable together.













































I think I have my hands full though as you seem to be one of those kids who will do anything for a laugh. It was so funny to watch you do various silly things to try to make Carter and Cassidy giggle. When I pointed that out, Daddy said, “Gee, I wonder where she gets that?” (Daddy is the same way!) I just love watching you interact with others and enjoy yourself. You’re such a little ham.

Unfortunately, the evening ended a bit abruptly. Daddy and I were enjoying ourselves, talking to Bryan, Jenny, and Jennifer, while you slept on the couch with me, and Cassidy slept on Jenny’s lap (Carter was in bed). All of a sudden, you opened your eyes and puked all over the couch (and a little on me). I was so stunned, I wasn’t sure what to do at first. You seemed to be ok after a while, and by the next morning, you seemed back to normal (thank God), but it’s always scary when your kid gets sick. (Hopefully their poor couch was better by morning too!)

On Saturday, you went over to play at the neighbor’s house while Daddy and I went grocery shopping. Great Saturday night date, right? Well, we actually did enjoy it, even getting stuck in the slowest line on the planet, since we knew you were having a ball back home with Roman, Natalia, and Jenny. You absolutely love those guys! In fact, we joke that we think you believe that their house in just an extension of yours.

This weekend you also have really been enjoying playing with a grill that I got you from Once Upon a Child the other day. Who knew you’d fall in love with this toy – I think it’s the best $6.50 I have ever spent!




















Here’s to another great week with you!

Love,
Mama

1 comment:

  1. It was great having you guys over on Friday! Carter and Cassidy get so excited when they know they are going to hang out with their friend Mali....and yes, the couch is fine. We are just glad that Mali is too.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete